Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
The line looks like damage – a crack – and there appears to be chips along the edge. Maybe it is just the photo, but I can’t really tell whether there is damage or not.
Amatino – I do hope you are doing better after a week of recovery, and we hear from you soon. I know you had a few sales for the May challenge, so get those numbers up!
I listed 4 items this past week.
I still only have the one item I sold for my own May challenge. I had other items sell on auction, but only one that I had added for the challenge.
For the June challenge, I have a box of vintage clock radios. Initially, I thought that I’d figure out how to repair them, buy a soldering iron and whatever I needed, and sell them as I fixed them up. Then I got a job, and, even though it is part time, I really don’t have the time to figure all that out. So, for the challenge, I need to test them to see if the different parts work (the clock, alarm, and radio), and then list them as-is. I’ve got two boxes of them (maybe 15 radios?), but one sitting on top will be for the challenge and the second would be icing on the cake!
I did about half the sales as last week:
Week of May 24 – 30
* Total Items in Store: 1330 eBay, 32 Etsy
* Items Sold: 12 eBay
* Cost of Items Sold: $19.84 + $26.90 Commission
* Total Sales: $327.25 eBay
* Highest Price Sold: $98 Vintage Zenith Trans Oceanic Radio
* Average price: $27.27
* Returns: 1 (damaged, refunded half purchase price)
* Money Spent on New Inventory This Week: $50
* Number of items listed this week: 4I finally did some sourcing! The prices were a bit high, but I got reasonable deals. I really don’t need to be sourcing anyway.
I had a weird sort of message this weekend. A buyer said that he felt the leather messenger bag I sold him wasn’t the authentic to the brand. Strange because the brand is Land, which isn’t a big name and isn’t luxury like Coach or whatever. I don’t think the company is in business anymore. I responded saying that I didn’t have any guarantee of authenticity and that he could return it if he was unhappy. I haven’t heard anything, so maybe he was fishing around for a refund.
05/30/2020 at 2:12 pm in reply to: Whoa, what? Walmart to start selling used clothing and accessories online??? #77944And, yes, they only pay when something sells. If something has been up for too long without a sale, you can either sell them the item at a reduced price, or opt to let them donate it to a charity.
05/30/2020 at 2:11 pm in reply to: Whoa, what? Walmart to start selling used clothing and accessories online??? #77943Jay – It’s Swap, not Swamp, but I get your point 🙂
The best way to show you how much I send in is to post a screenshot of all my earnings (see below). You can see a line at the top for my newest shipment that hasn’t been listed yet. My earnings will be less since, as I mentioned previously, their commissions have gone up, but my earning on eBay will also be less since clothing prices have gone down there as well.
As far as what I send in, I usually send in a full 20″x20″x17″ box. This is the largest box that they will let you send in. In the beginning, they didn’t have restrictions on the size, and I sent in one that was about 3 feet tall!
05/30/2020 at 10:18 am in reply to: Whoa, what? Walmart to start selling used clothing and accessories online??? #77937I’ve used Swap.com in the past. It’s a similar online thrift as ThreadUp. I stopped sending in clothes years ago because they became inundated with inventory, and you had to pay your own shipping. The amount you were paid was reduced drastically, and the criteria they use to accept clothing became stricter as well.
Finally, earlier this year, I noticed that they were accepting clothing again. I organized the clothes I had (most of which was given to me for free by my parents’ downsizing friends). I washed everything per their requirements and sent in only items that were recent and in near perfect condition.
On March 2, I received an email saying that the package was received. I expected to hear from them in a few weeks, but you all know what happened then. Recently, I received an email saying that they were moving their storage facility from Illinois to North Carolina and that they would start listing again June 7. I sent in many items that would be in season now through the summer, so that is all kind of screwed up at this point.
Anyway, I’ll sell the vintage stuff and maybe outerwear on eBay, but anything that is recent is going to Swap.com or similar. I just don’t have the patience to sell that stuff myself.
I recall this question being posted on the forum before. Perhaps use the search function on the right hand side.
05/28/2020 at 10:16 pm in reply to: Whoa, what? Walmart to start selling used clothing and accessories online??? #77904Gopher Jim – The link to Thread Up on Walmart does not work. Perhaps it hasn’t opened yet.
05/28/2020 at 7:59 am in reply to: Iroquois bowls Old west painting, Starburst tumblers, 1940’s Kit Cat Klock #77871Yes, that the cat clock was a great sale. I recall that one of my teachers in elementary school had a clock like that, but one of the newer ones.
My husband was looking all over the house looking for something, so he ended up cleaning out his closet. He found this new battery for a drill that he never used. It sold overnight for $30. He eventually found the thing he was looking for in the laundry room.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184295354716Last year, I bought a set of very heavy stoneware from Target in an online auction. Someone messaged me about reducing the shipping costs. I went and switched all the listings to have FedEx as the first choice. They bought three sets of 2 plates (6 altogether) for $42, and, the next day, someone else bought one set of two dinner plates for $14.50. I bought the whole set for about $5, and I have a whole lot left.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183956928526
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183956932471Three years ago, I posted on the forum trying to figure out a glass thing. I didn’t realize that it had a lid and thought it might be one of those glass insulators. I was helped tremendously by the community here, and finally figured out that it was a weighing jar from Bell Labs. Jay suggested a $199 or best offer price, but I reduced it little by little over time. It finally sold for best offer of $45. I paid about $5.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184068972565Here’s my post asking for help:
I purchased this messenger bag about four years ago in an online auction lot. It’s in great shape, but I guess the style isn’t that desirable. I paid about $1, and it sold on best offer for $27.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183853236870So, cashmere/wool coats sell really well, right? Well, how about ones with moth damage? I purchased this from my neighbor’s online auction. She went to the Fashion Institute in NY, so she just has a great eye for style. And, yes, a moth eaten wool coat from the 1950s sold for best offer of $25.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183940861900When we aren’t in quarantine, I run a monthly lunch get-together with people I used to work with. One guy used to repair tube radios. He gave me a box of vacuum tubes for me to sell. I found that one type of tube would be worth decent money if they worked, but I had no way to test them. I decided to put them on auction. Only one listing had bids, and the other two sold at the asking price. I made $85 total. Not bad!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184294837645
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184294837650
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184294837646Here are some commission sales for a family friend; a lot of assorted vintage brooches for $40, a Fenton pitcher for $55 with best offer, and a vintage coffee grinder for $50.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184274827016
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184052101851
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18405772835905/27/2020 at 9:10 pm in reply to: Unique 12″ Cylinder Round Tube Lidded Silver Plate Serving Dish – Used For?? #77856I was thinking bread slices of a baguette along with the butter. Reminds me of something like this:
https://www.1stdibs.co.uk/furniture/dining-entertaining/sheffield-silverplate/modernist-silver-plate-baguette-holder-serving-piece-italian/id-f_1725592/Amatino – I’m not sure how it works, but I think eBay is not counting late shipments against the sellers because of COVID. So, if you had to have the issue, maybe you had good timing?
They are vintage Zenith Trans Oceanic multi-band radios which I sell at $100 or more, at least for the working ones. I had one partially working and one working that I did videos to showing the condition. I did not do a video for the non-working one.
3 listings. I made videos for two of them, so there’s that.
05/25/2020 at 12:24 pm in reply to: Scavenger Life Episode 464: In the wake of the pandemic- Facebook Shops #77784When I was at eBay UpFront in November, a rep said that they were looking into ways to handle items like coins, adult material, gun related, and other categories that Ayden wouldn’t touch. I heard the issue was Ayden, not Apple Pay, but either way, I think that they will come up with a solution. eBay should be more “up front” with sellers if they see a way through so that people won’t just pull that stuff.
I had another good week on eBay. I had thought those days were over, but no! I did have a pretty expensive return request. They haven’t sent it yet, but I’m sure that they will.
Week of May 17-23
* Total Items in Store: 1337 eBay, 32 Etsy
* Items Sold: 28 eBay, 1 Etsy
* Cost of Items Sold: $21.65 + $79 Commission
* Total Sales: $638.05 eBay, $18 Etsy
* Highest Price Sold: $55 Fenton pitcher (on commission), $51 for 3 Raytheon vacuum tubes
* Average price: $22.62
* Returns: 1 ($150 ouch)
* Money Spent on New Inventory This Week: $0
* Number of items listed this week: 3When you edit your shipping information, there is an international section where you select the GSP. Underneath that is “Alternative international shipping options” with a pull down menu. You can chose the calculated shipping and then set it up to ship specifically to Canada with international first class.
First class international is up to four pounds.
-
AuthorPosts