Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
I’ve had my name, address, phone number and email on the eBay listings since some time back- I only recently discovered that.
The only spam that comes directly from that is US-based listing services. The emails have my name in the copy.
Apart from that occasional email, nothing. eBay buyers are pretty benign in my experience.
There’s a pair of jade Dogs of Fo on stands, plus another one also in jade. They’d sell.
Those golden dolphins are based on a Victorian street furniture design- supports for a fountain I think.
Lots of malachite and onyx. Pair of lidded famille noire vases on the floor.
Might be a Polish surname, though the Polish person sitting near me didn’t recognise it.
Glazer’s figurine has an eroded look, rather than a worn look. It seems that the softer part of the wood has been degraded, maybe with some caustic soda, which has also removed any dark patina leaving a yellowish appearance. Maybe French, nineteenth century, anti-clerical depiction of a priest haranguing his congregation?
@jay According to my friend a dangerous one! He wanted me to put a warning in the listing as to how only those who know how to work safely with high voltages should consider purchasing it. I didn’t- I thought it would just encourage the wrong kind of bidder, the type who’d build their own lethal electric fence.
Still got it- the high bidder (from China) hasn’t paid yet; the second highest is from Indonesia (no GSP) and the third highest is Australian. I’ve paid my friend the £75 he suggested, so I might hang on to it if the top bidder doesn’t cough up the £190, and find out a bit more about what it was actually made for. In general Partridge (the makers) made transformers for valve amplifiers.
I’ve got a vintage mains transformer on auction- it’s on consignment from a friend who bought it a couple of weeks back from a purveyor of electronic junk for £5. The last two transformers I sold for him went on BIN to Chinese buyers. This one’s on auction- two bidders from China have driven it up to £184 with about ten hours to go. This is stuff from the 1960s- I have no idea what they’re doing with these transformers.
Kind of wonder whether there’s a software issue behind these problems. The Japanese company Fujitsu supplied the British Royal Mail with defective software in 1999, resulting in (quote from Wikipedia) “…the most widespread miscarriage of justice in British legal history, spanning a period of over twenty years; aspects of the scandal remain unresolved.” Royal Mail denied that the accounting software was producing false deficits, resulting in over 700 postmasters being accused of theft.
Thanks! I put the plate on the dining table to take a photo- wondered where the smell of pee was coming from! Ugh!
Plate for Emperor Napoleon III by Sevres, 1859. The dark bits are rat turds. Bought with a wool winder and a tenon saw for £8.

Maybe the SS Comandante Pessoa was berthed in Port Said (the port at the Mediterranean end of the Suez Canal. Our Brazilian chappy could’ve popped into Cairo for some r’n’r. I gather the city was humming in the 1940s.
The first word in the ship’s name looks to be an abbreviation, maybe for Comandante.
Seems to be a captain of a merchant ship; name of the ship maybe starts with a B. Could be Brazilian- they declared war on the Axis November 1943 after a number of their merchant ships were sunk by U-boats.
Enjoyed reading that! With the trains, hotels, doorman, walking through the city, jazz club, taxi drivers, it’s like the start of a 1930s detective novel.
My sympathies with your Covid; I had it a couple of months back, after having spent more than three years without even catching a cold. Caught it scavenging, thought it was hay fever at the beginning.
I see that consignment seller not only put the Neiman pictures in the wrong category, but they also swapped the titles round.
09/10/2023 at 4:52 am in reply to: Anyone using new AI tool in app for listing descriptions? #101007I looked at ChatGPT and the first example it showed on the left was “Improve my post for selling a vacuum in good condition”. Tried it.
Title: “High-Quality Vacuum Cleaner in Excellent Condition – Must See!”
Description:
Are you tired of lugging around that heavy, outdated vacuum cleaner that barely gets the job done? It’s time for an upgrade, and I’ve got just the solution for you!
I’m selling a top-of-the-line vacuum cleaner in impeccable condition that will make your cleaning routine a breeze. Here are some key details to get you excited:”
And so on.
Signing up requires a functioning mobile phone number, so use a burner and a random Gmail account.
-
AuthorPosts