Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
@debitendcreits thanks! Good luck with it!
Could be referring to a “Monsieur Rostoff” (maybe Russian) and nudging Russell to find out more about “Rostoff”s background.
His descendant, Prince Charles, was always writing letters to government ministers. They’re known as the “black spider memos”, because after they were typed up he’d write all over them in black ink.
Would not it be desirable to know what M. Rupstaff’s place really is?
Ever yours truly
Albert
Windsor Castle
22nd March 1861
He’s trying to work out what M. ???’s social status is, i.e. his place in society. Can’t make out the surname.
Ooh… nice rabbit hole! Looks as if it’s a Fairchild C-123B without the supplementary underwing jet engines, used in Vietnam “as an in-theater airlifter and a Ranch Hand sprayer.” (National Museum of the USAF webpage)
If that’s correct, maybe Melissa had a close connection with a USAF crewmember.
Orendorf’? Plane appears to be a Fairchild C-123 Provider (two engines instead of the four on a Lockheed Hercules).
Couple of months back I picked up a modern, well-painted, landscape in oils, mounted in a massive Victorian gilded frame in good condition. For once, the artist’s signature was clear and readable.
Danielle
I took a run up to Birstall (a suburb of Leicester) and picked up a Singer Swiss zig-zag sewing machine attachment for £7, and its manual for £4. An older model- seems to be listed around the £100 to £150 mark. Maybe they don’t have internet in Birstall.
I was struck by the phrase “Secure the shadow…” so I googled it. Makes me wonder if “Man from Imlay” was actually sentient when the photo was taken.
I bought lots of used crappy VHS tapes last year, at £1 ($1.20) for 20. The plastic boxes are good for storing small items. Now DVDs are getting dumped, at 10 for £1, but the cases are no use and the discs themselves are Region 2.
7 dollars a pound here in Britain for free-range turkeys, which is a thing I’ve never heard of before. Our turkeys are normally raised in long metal sheds in deepest Norfolk, and turned into sausages.
A decent chicken costs 13 dollars. An indecent chicken costs 4 dollars, and has that slightly-high taste that leaves you with a feeling of regret.
Been getting Black Friday emails for the last couple of weeks from the white-goods chains. Presumably this “mid-winter consumer festival” as the BBC describes it is tomorrow. 🙂 Then it’s Scavenging Saturday and Sorting Sunday. I guess Cyber Monday is when Doctor Who battles the Cybermen. Going to sit that one out.
Wishing everybody a Happy Thanksgiving. Be thankful you’re not going to eat British turkey; it’s as dry as a Puritan’s imagination and as tasteless as Jeff Koons.
@christiner There’s a couple of 50-minute-long YouTube videos by NHK (Japanese public broadcaster) entitled “The Unknown Master Of Restoration”. One of the items is (as far as I remember) a Korean bowl which had been repaired in the Japanese way- gold lacquer in the cracks. It gets broken apart and then repaired invisibly.
Some of the work comes close to expert-grade fakery (such as the celadon vase with missing handles).
Offsite? If you’re offside the opposing team gets an indirect free kick. 🙂
How to Build Your Own Solid State Oscilloscope
The price history of this 1979 book on Amazon. Four or five years ago World Of Books had six copies listed at £6 a copy. A friend bought one- he realised he’d bought the one copy out of the six that was a bit worn, so he contacts WoB to see if he can exchange it for another. They replied that he’d have to return it for a refund and purchase another.
In the meantime their price had risen to £126. Now, years later, they only have one copy for sale, at £99.47. I guess they pulped the other four copies.
Joji Davenport maybe loves the beauty in numbers, and this trading (he also trades stocks) is just a rationalisation to his partner. 🙂
Me, I failed maths at university more than one, two, many times.
I tried Lüneburg as well! Also cleaning up the crown and shield mark and running it through Google Lens. Told me it was an octopus.
-
AuthorPosts