Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Looks to me like shop fittings, owing to the unusual shape. The speaker stands I’ve had tended to be heavy, with means of firmly attaching the speakers. On these, they’d just slide around. And off…
This happened before, probably in the early 1990s (rusty memory). Remember seeing abandoned cars in the streets; think at least three were Volvo sedans. I had a Volvo estate briefly until the clutch failed- learnt two things about Volvos. They run about 10 mpg, and the insurance is really expensive because you can cause a lot more damage with a Volvo.
‘Phoned up a firm of breakers in Nottingham, and they took them away on lorries. Think they paid £160 each, to be dismantled for spare parts. Weight about 1.25 tonnes, scrap price paid for cars now (2020) £60 a tonne, so they probably paid a small premium for the parts.
We get scrap hounds here, depending on the price. Must be moderately low at the moment- somebody pushed a Sunbeam Alpine out onto the street, and it took two months to disappear!
You can get $500 for a car body at the scrapyard? I didn’t get that for two complete high-roof Fiat Doblo vans last year.
Don’t know how it works in the US, but in the UK/EU one can’t sell used car parts on eBay without the appropriate licence (that’s from my limited experience, so there might be a workaround).
Having scrapped several cars, if it was my car I’d sell it to a car breakers (who in the UK insist on it being complete). Might not get very much, but it’ll save you getting involved in disposing of the non-saleable parts and the fluids.
Says “Statement of faith” yet (unless I missed it) there’s no faith required- just a list of behaviourial requirements.
Which preselect a group that don’t smoke, take drugs, catch STDs, drink to excess or have lawyers on speed-dial. Most of my neighbours are like that, so if they amend it to “Must attend church 3 times a month or a mosque 2 times a day” they could expand their membership somewhat.
Maybe one of a pair of supports for a brass planter or trough. The ring doesn’t look like it’s been designed for lifting- the grub screws seem to be to stop it rotating.
…you can remember “reflectoporn” and “bearded man in wedding dress” (the two are not connected 🙂 )
I’ve got a friend who has a longstanding interest in electric guitars and valve amplifiers, so if I see a guitar in a thrift shop or dumped on the street (happens!) I check it out. However having watched some videos on assessment and repairs I realised there’s no way I could successfully buy and resell guitars- too many areas where faults and wear develop. Violins on the other hand- they’re simple, small and usually come in a hard case, and the bows can be valuable on their own.
Just checked my local Freecycle group. “Old duvet only suitable for outdoor use”. “Still available. IKEA picture. Plastic has a large scratch across which you can see in sunlight but not obvious in normal indoor lighting.” “APC 650W UPS- Needs new battery to work.” “Non working but repairable 24″ computer monitor- repairable if you have the electronics skills/tools and patience (see YouTube videos on how to do it).”
Well, at least they’re not flytipping their junk.
“Sea of mess”? Surely that’s a sea of cheese.
Ear protection’s also good. How tinnitus drove musician to brink of suicide.
Fortunately, according to some DNA testing site, I’m one-third Neanderthal, so I don’t need to wear a safety helmet, or need a licence to hunt mammoth.
12/26/2019 at 4:28 am in reply to: A matter of perspective: My mental tool to help me move on bad buyers. #72111$20 is way cheap to make someone “go away”. Doesn’t cover the cost of cement, bucket, chains and gaffer tape here. Also the local river’s only four feet deep.
Thinking about it, if I buy or sell at a flea market, car boot, antique fair, the items aren’t marked with prices (tried that, bad idea). So the seller has to verbally state the price, and deal with the face-to-face reaction of the punters. Keeps the prices realistic.
Thrift shops have stickered prices. Also there can be restrictions on staff and volunteers lowering prices for customers; stops family and friends getting bargains.
However, on the principle that not everybody knows everything, even in an overpriced thrift shop there’s probably going to be one or two items that are cheap for what they are.
…you get an INAD on that shrunken head the Yanomami sent you to sell on consignment.
-
AuthorPosts