Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Always worth checking what’s in the books besides words, e.g. tram tickets. money, bookplates and other ephemera.
A US bookdealer who writes a regular blog about trading at book fairs thinks that the market is shifting to ephemera away from ye olde leather-bound volumes.
Saw a modern Christmas pudding mould a couple of days ago; hemispehrical and used upside=down in a suacepan of boiling water. A spotted-dick or treacle sponge mould would be log-shaped. Blancmange moulds are in pottery or glass.
Found it. It’s French, I’ve no idea what it’s used for.
My grandmother learnt her cooking “skills” from someone who lived in the 19th century. It took her two hours to boil a cabbage to the point where it was sorry. That era’s where all these steamed puddings came from. Last time I steamed a pudding it took three hours and I got roundly abused by the women for wasting electricity.
Oh, it’s just… on a shorter timescale. No attempt to build up a credit history.
It’s probably not relevant in this case, but long firm fraud was a thing back in the Britain of the 1950s and 1960s. Start a business, buy stock in, build up your credit rating with the suppliers, put a massive order in, abscond with the stock. Repeat in another town.
I’ve no idea why it’s called that, also there’s short firm fraud which I’m just about to google.
He mentioned paying $8,500 in back rent which I presume is Canadian dollars. Don’t know what period that covered.
I’ll qualify that. He paid the rent owing to the property management company. He got a locksmith to change the lock. Whether the company gave him permission to remove the stock, or whether he has started paying rent on the warehouse I don’t know.
Members of his family lent a local business money. Business went bust, foreclosure, he offers property management company the back rent owed in return for access to the warehouse and permission to clear out anything there.
Yeah, in the original video there were no advert breaks. Now there’s seven.
Over here in the UK the majority of dvds are sold by thrift shops at 5 for a £1 (about 1.25 USD). The shop I volunteer in threw out about 200 last week as they were unsaleable, and unrecycleable. There are dvds which are still worth selling though, also I don’t know what the state of the US market is.
The same with cds, plus by now the plastic in the 1990s cases is starting to degrade so many have cracks.
With books, the best stuff is proper how-to-do-it/reference books. For instance I picked up a book on how to replicate Gibson guitar finishes for £1- when I checked sellers were asking £50 for used copies. I bin hardback fiction, even if it’s intelligent.
I have to sort through about 3,000 books, dvds and cds a week at the thrift, so I have a somewhat cynical approach! There’s nothing like sorting through a pile of dvds of Hollywood crap to give you a ‘kill ’em all’ feeling 🙂
Curiosity Incorporated has 275,000 YouTube subscribers. LockPickingLawyer has 1,120,000 subscribers (I’m not one). He did start a year earlier, in 2015.
Participation. Everyone can pick up a lock to fiddle with, few have access to a hoarder’s house!
Says “I just got the keys from the locksmith”. Holds the key up so that you can clearly see the bitting, inserts that key into the lock and opens the door. Hmmm… looks like the locksmith removed the original lock and replaced it with a cheap Chinese one (no scratches on the lock, no branding).
I’ve been watching too much LockPickingLawyer 🙂
The rest of it is a horror movie involving hundreds of small rubber dolls and a claustrophobic warehouse where the heating’s still on but the lighting’s off.
According to this CBC article Mary Borgstrom’s children were going to bulldoze her house with all the contents still inside. I thought that was a bit extreme until I read further down the article about how Archbold had to remove 25 tonnes of trash from the place.
Re those stamps.com scales. I had a Salters electronic scale that I scavenged out of a box of junk at a flea market. Worked alright for a while but then started consistently reading high, so I stripped it down to see if there was anything I could fix. Turns out the mechanism is an aluminium bar attached at one end to the top plate and at the other to the base. Attached to it is a fine grid of wires; as the bar distorts due to weight the grid flexes and its electrical resistance changes, and this change is converted to a reading. So once it goes wrong it’s probably unfixable. There’s a Wikipedia article on the grid- can’t remember the name, but there are high-end versions.
The simple construction means that they’re pretty cheap- I picked up a replacement at Lidl for 5 GBP. They’re accurate ‘cos I checked mine with a set of Post Office weights
12/04/2019 at 9:26 am in reply to: Can anyone tell me anything about this CBS Japan Simon and Garfunkel Cassette ? #7134978 rpm? I used to listen to Leonard Cohen at 78- it put a positive spin on his maunderings.
There is a Japanese vendor on Australian eBay selling Japanese tapes, including a CBS S&G one- think it was priced at 48 AUD, but was a studio one.
Worth checking these cassettes- I rescued a pile from a bin, and one turned out to be an obscure BBC live recording from an even obscurer band, not listed in their discography.
I suppose the “crux of the matter” is- who are you writing for when you write feedback? Seems to me to be a combination of patting the customer on the back for buying and paying promptly, and giving a warm fuzzy feeling to any prospective customers that you’re a really nice eBayer to deal with.
Or maybe not… I suspect that a certain percentage of customers are male, and would be a bit uncomfortable with a warm fuzzy feeling. “Ta for the really fast payment- YOU’RE A REAL DARLING!!! I hope the grommet is a really snug fit in your pumping thing!!!”
-
AuthorPosts