Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Items in Store 1207
Items Sold 44
Total Sales $1,350.50
COGS $128.50
Total Profit $1,222.00
Average profit $27.77
Average sales price $30.69
New Listings 48Summer goal
Week Goal Actual Difference
6/10/2019 875.00 411.00 -464.00
6/17/2019 875.00 577.00 -298.00
6/24/2019 875.00 1,350.50 +475.50BELOW target by -286.50
Now that’s more like it! Good to see my hard work is paying off. I had two big sales, $175 and $153 and minus those I still had a $1k week with bread n butter items. This is the most items I’ve ever sold in a week as well. I greatly outperformed my summer goal and made up some ground from my slow start. Hopefully that trend can continue.
This week I listed a bunch of higher dollar items. Hopefully they start selling.
My listing numbers would have been higher, but I had some housekeeping work to do on ebay. I had to get a bunch of listed items in inventory. On saturday I rebuilt the first wood shelf I ever built in my ebay shed. When I built the first three shelves I had NO idea how quickly my inventory would expand. I did not build the shelf long enough to fit 3 totes side by side – I also built them free-standing instead of anchoring the shelves to the wall. With a little work and expansion I can now fit 3 wide on the shelf, which gives me space to put in 12 more totes.
I still have two more of these shelves to rebuild, and I’m going to need them at the rate I am listing.Scavenging at yard sales this weekend was pretty good. One sale I went to had a TON of mens Ralph Lauren clothes. I’m not big on buying clothes right now, but when an opportunity presents itself…
The lady had signs up that said “Ralph Lauren is $5 each FIRM”. So I looked through it all and approached her and said “How much if I take ALL the Ralph Lauren?” I got her down to $3 and item and she ended up throwing in a couple for free, so less than $3 an item. All were like new.This week I’m going to use my new helper – aka my daughter – to blow through listing them all as fast as possible.
The other things of note were a Bose iphone dock radio and a Yamaha Drum Sampler machine. Both of those will pull close to $100 and will be quick sales.
Have a great week everyone!
I haven’t listened yet…but the 3 P’s??
I come here to get away from corporate speak! Lol!I kid, I kid! The 3 P’s is actually a good concept to keep projects and/or meetings flowing smoothly and on message.
It is a glitch in the classic shipping page, which you are using.
I’ve tried reporting it to ebay and they didn’t do anything about it many months ago. They actually told me I was the only person experiencing it on ebay.1. Contact ebay and describe the glitch. The more people that do, maybe they’ll fix it.
2. Don’t ship with this ‘hack’ – USPS will backcharge you.
3. Don’t use the classic shipping page if at all possible.
3. If you are forced to classic shipping page, then print your labels on paypal to get the correct price.What is happening is that the postal regions are reversed. Packages going across the country will be dirt cheap, while packages on your side of the country will be insanely expensive.
The water is actually at peak warmth in September.
06/20/2019 at 12:03 am in reply to: What Sells On eBay: Shifter boot, Slot car track pieces, Camera case, Scrabble Turntable, Trav-L-Bar, Silver jewelry box #63789This is one of my favorite sales:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/263453703581I found this by chance after overhearing a woman say there was some fancy coats in the womens section when I was checking out one day. She was wrong, but I found this suit in that womens section looking for the coats that definitely werent fancy.
I posted this fully expecting it to be bought by a film prop/wardrobe department at some point. It sold for full price to a person in NY, so I did what I normally never do – which is look them up in google.
The buyer was a former major movie producer who now runs a high end fashion company in NYC.
Pretty cool! I took some extra time packing this item and even wrapped it in craft paper for presentation.
It’s already a Federal Felony, so this just allows state level prosecutors to take it more seriously as well.
So about these houses you own – does the rental income offset the house payments of both houses? Are you living for free/getting paid to have two houses?
This is genuinly interesting to me – this is the life I’d like to live!
Yeah I’m wondering the same thing. Will the option to have sales tax collected just disappear on all my listings and from the listing creation tool or do I need to take action.
So I priced this out assuming a move to Ft. Meyers Florida from West Virginia.
U-pack service would only provide 5′ of storage space in a trailer and would charge $2281 to deliver to Florida. GAH!!!
A quote from PODS for Washington DC to Fort Meyers Florida was $3283.96 for a 16′ container and up to 1 month storage. Holy Schnikes!
The best option is renting a U-haul and driving it yourself.
A 26′ Uhaul truck rented one-way with 5 days usage and 1193 included miles is only $941. Price just goes down from there if you need less.
You can add a two wheel tow dolly for $100 or a full car transport trailer for $215.The third option is buying a large enclosed trailer. You can get a tandem axle 18′ trailer for less than $5k. If you were doing this twice a year every year it would be the best option, but…
To do option 3 you will also need a vehicle capable of hauling that big of a load. If you don’t already have that then your costs go through the roof. You’ll also need to store the trailer when not in use, either on your property or pay to leave it at a storage facility. You will also have to pay taxes and registration.
The best benefit of your own trailer is that you can outfit it to fit your inventory. You can build shelving to hold everything and design it to hold stuff in place while moving. You could even design the storage with a walkway down the middle so you wouldn’t even have to load/unload – just leave it all in there at all times.Bottom line, Uhaul and drive yourself is the only true viable solution if you don’t want to invest in the infrastructure of a trailer and possibly a towing capable vehicle. If you already have a tow-capable vehicle then buying your own tandem axle trailer is the best bet.
06/17/2019 at 12:05 pm in reply to: Scavenger Life Episode 415: Importance Of Being Honest As A Business Owner #63580I add items to promoted listings once a month. At that time I reassess ALL promoted listings in that campaign because the trending rates change.
Once upon a time I would just apply trending rates to adjust all listings. Not anymore.Now I will only apply trending rates if it lowers the rate. Otherwise I stand pat. In some cases I’ll even lower my trending rates. Take for instance shoes – there are several generic trending rates in shoes that can vary 2% or more. Once I notice a trend I start moving all similar items to the lower rate.
My goal is to settle all of my listings promoted percentages to the bottom of the seasonal markets. That way I’m not setting my percentage during the high market and then throwing away money the rest of the year.
In a general sense, it seems I’m going to settle around 4% on most items.
06/17/2019 at 11:14 am in reply to: Scavenger Life Episode 415: Importance Of Being Honest As A Business Owner #63576Items in Store 1203
Items Sold 23
Total Sales $577.00
COGS $47.00
Total Profit $530.00
Average profit $23.04
Average sales price $25.09
New Listings 49Summer goal
Week Goal Actual Difference
6/10/2019 875.00 411.00 -464.00
6/17/2019 875.00 577.00 -298.00Currently $762 behind goal pace.
This week was setting up to be terrible. Typcically most of my sales come Monday-Thursday and my weekends suck. This week I was dead all week then had a great weekend.
I am still off of my summer goal I have set for myself, but I am moving in the right direction. All the listing I am doing will start to pay off and I can build some momentum to make up ground. I crossed 1200 listings for the first time. Hopefully that leads to my items sold per week trending upwards as well.
This weekend yard sales were fairly disappointing. Lots of junk sales, but there were a few good ones. Typically I load up the back of my van, but not this week. At one sale there were 3 pair of Miss Me Jeans laying out among the clothes. This was almost noon, so I figured they were asking a ton for them to still be there. I almost didn’t ask but I figured what the hay. I asked the guy how much for them and I didn’t hear him at first. I asked again and he said “a buck”. I asked if he was sure and he said “yep, I want to get rid of ’em”. There were 4 other women at the sale that audibly gasped. I scooped those things up as quick as I could!
Listing wise, this weekend was video game weekend. I listed a bunch of video games and accessories that I’ve had for a while. This was a great first test for my daughter to photograph for me. I showed her how to photograph one item and walked away, just to see how she would follow instruction and adapt if something changed.
She did wonderfully! She followed my instructions and asked good questions when she got to different items. Her photos we all well centered and focused. She’s gonna make some good money this summer.
So sorry to hear of your father’s passing Troy.
This is not scientific, but I applied my gut “is this cool” test to your item. This one feels “not cool”. Like someone tried really hard to create a ripped/distressed look and failed.
I’ve sold some pretty ratty jeans, so I feel like I have a good feel for it.
06/12/2019 at 10:53 am in reply to: Winchester38's Journal – A Journey To Full-time Reselling #63365What do you do about returns? I assume you have a US PO box?
Hubcap joe wrote me back – 1958 Oldsmobile.
Awesome!
I offered to send him a couple bucks via paypal but he declined. He just likes helping people. I hope Karma delivers him a wonderful reward in lieu of cash today. Nice guy! -
AuthorPosts