Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
I’d laugh.
Just to avoid any confusion: Best Match, Ending Soonest, etc….those are NOT filters. They are “Search orders”. If a search term brings up 100 results under Best Match, it should bring up 100 results in Ending Soonest…the same results, in a different order.
eBay filters are found on the left side of the Search Results page. The available filters depend to some extent on the category (or sub-category) the buyer has chosen, but basically they will show a subset of the unfiltered search results. So if a certain brand of mens shirt has 100 results in Best Match, and the buyer now filters for “red” as a color, there might be only 20 results. And the buyer can display them in his chosen order by using the search order…best match, ending soonest, etc.
ebay has said that participation in the Delivery program will NOT effect Best Match (in other words, it is not part of the Best Match algorithm). It will only matter if the buyer uses the filter.
ebay has 20 million listings already promised to the program (presumably by large sellers). My guess is, Large Sellers of new merchandise will jump on this program , because they will see the value in it. Most of us are really competing with other small sellers of used items, and I think, initially at least, small sellers won’t embrace the program the way large sellers will. Which could give a significant competitive advantage to those who do opt in.
I live in an area—Pennsylvania—with plenty of sourcing opportunities, but a few of my best sales were originally purchased on etsy and then sold on ebay. So I agree with Ryanne…don’t hesitate to buy online to sell online.
I think first class package rate, which has tracking, will meet the requirement. BUT keep in mind that ebay’s estimate for that could be 4 days (doesn’t qualify) or 3 days (qualifies, but won’t show up if buyer uses 2 day filter, whereas Priority might show up there.) Since Priority Flat Rate mailers are free from USPS, and since some buyers might prefer Priority despite the extra expense (especially near Christmas), I don’t see any harm in adding it as an option. But you are right, it isn’t necessary IF you are using first class package.( As noted above, first class letter doesn’t have tracking, and so doesn’t qualify.)
LAWoman, OK, first class package has tracking. So you could probably opt in to the Delivery program with that. And, as I explained, you could add Flat Rate Priority as an option.
The program does NOT effect regular search results.
It is a filter only. There is NO regular search placement benefit from being in the program, and NO regular search placement downside from not being in it.
The advantage is not in regular search results, it’s in the filter. Let’s say you have an item for sale, and there are 100 more similar to it in regular ebay search results. But the buyer wants it fast, so he uses the filter for, say, 2 day delivery. A certain percentage of sellers won’t opt in, so they’ll be excluded right off the bat from the filtered search results. So will sellers who can only offer three day shipping , because the buyer has chosen 2 day. You are one of the 2 day listings. And instead of being one of 100, you are one of, say, 10.
That increases the odds of making the sale to that buyer. Your price might be higher then the 90 that aren’t shown, but if the buyer sticks to the filter, he won’t ever see those. So you might make the sale.
I look at it this way….many small sellers devote a lot off effort to trying to “game” Cassini/Best Match, so they can be at the top of search results. Well, here’s a way to get better position by eliminating competing listings. Why not take advantage of it?
No. But first , let me get this straight—you are sending them first class letter rate, or first class package rate? Which one?
But—if you are sending them first class letter, and do NOT ALSO include priority flat rate envelope as another option for your buyer, they will NOT be pushed down in search. They will show up as usual. However, they will NOT show up at all if a buyer uses the FILTER for guaranteed delivery.
If you include BOTH options, you can choose first class as your first choice, and that’s the dollar amount ebay will assign for low/high price search order, so offering both options won’t effect your search position even in those search orders.
Hope I’m explaining this all right…
Wow! I now know what that is called, but I still don’t know what it does LOL But, thanks for the info…if I see one, I’ll know to snap it up!
Amatino, As Thrifted Sister said, first class packages are trackable, first class letter rate isn’t. However, you can offer first class letter rate AND priority flat rate envelope. If a buyer wants guaranteed three day delivery, and you can get it to him in three days with Priority mail, then your listing will show up in the filter. If you ONLY offer first class envelope rate, then it won’t show up in the filter, because it isn’t trackable.
03/22/2017 at 10:38 pm in reply to: What Sells On eBay: Fur hat, Wire recorder, Phono cartridge, Boombox #15110Steve, Oh my, the wire recorder brings back memories! Some years back, I was in a production of South Pacific, and the props manager was having an awful time finding a wire recorder. He had gotten a hold of a reel to reel tape recorder, but we pointed out that any WWII vets in the audience would recognize that as impossible LOL So I told him I’d try to find one. There’s a guy not too far from me, used to sell TVs and stuff. He was already semi-retired when I paid him a visit. He took me across the street from his shop (which had file cabinets stuffed with manuals, as well as all sorts of gadgets) to his storage shed….which was like a museum of old electronics, except totally disorganized with stuff piled everywhere. But he knew just where to find a WWII era wire recorder. As I remember, in working condition. I offered to buy it or borrow it, but he wouldn’t sell…but he did loan it to us for free.
I really should pay him another visit…..not sure he’s still around though.
If a popular fashionista blogger featured them, views can jump to incredible heights. I’ve had it happen. It doesn’t necessarily guarantee a sale though, as I’ve also discovered. Put your gallery photo in the Google photo search and see what comes up.
I will probably opt in. The benefit, while perhaps somewhat limited for my type of merchandise, still outweighs the basically non-existent cost.
First, you need to be a Top Rated Seller. If you are, I think there are currently only two requirements for a listing to be given the TRS Plus discount: you need to state that you offer 30 day returns, and you need a one day or same day handling time.
I’m not sure how much it would help us trash elves, but I think it could be a big help for sellers who sell new stuff.
OK, I just checked, and it looks like First Class and above: No charge. Below that, seller has to pay the return shipping. So, Parcel select, you will pay to get it back. Or, technically, you’ll have the choice to pay the PO when the package arrives, or to tell them you don’t want it.
I’m not sure about Parcel Select. I think with Priority, if the buyer returns it unopened, the PO picks up the return cost. Media mail, seller pays. But I rarely use Parcel Select, so I’m not sure.
-
AuthorPosts