Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Well she filed a case with Paypal instead of dealing with eBay. There goes the other half. Sigh. I really dislike dishonest people.
Perhaps. Anything is possible.
I have PTSD after this last item specifics debacle, so I fill in as much as I am able now.
I watch Heather as well. She is a really great seller to learn from. I like her personality.
As I fall down the rabbit hole of FB collector’s groups, I’m finding all kinds of things in high demand like lamps, cake plates/stands, figural animals, wall hangings and all kinds of things I haven’t given a thought to. My goal is to memorize the most sought after brands/marks and the look up the obscure ones as I go. You really could pick up a ton of stuff that has little to no value. So once again, knowledge is everything in this business.
@Christine Yup, I joined a bunch. I’ve also heard cinnamon is good to rub into signatures and marks. My GW just this month stopped writing on pottery with sharpie and switched to price stickers. Finally. That was a real problem as I’ve found sharpie does not come off of pottery.
I’m only 49, so I’m not quite ready to be bored yet. My husband is 61 and is looking to retire soon. If our two rentals pay for themselves, then I could scale back a little bit. I never really gave that much thought. I’ve been on earn, earn, earn mode for so long, it’s all I know.
Well he’s graduating from college next May and his room is currently full with 2,500 clothing and shoe items. My biggest challenge is that in the next couple of years we will be living the snowbird life. I’m going to have to figure out how to do this between two states. None of the ideas I’ve thought of are viable as of yet. And even more complex now that I’m going to be concentrating on breakables.
@jay I have picked up hard goods here and there, but when I get to the thrift the first place I head is to the clothing racks because I feel sort of safe there. If that even makes sense. Like, I know what I can sell from those racks. I know a bit about fine china, crystal and a whole ton of knowledge on flatware which I love to sell. But pottery, that’s been calling me for awhile now and it’s time to learn about it. I see it at estate sales all the time and it seems like no one is interested in it or wants to figure out the worth. After finding some valuable pieces, I’m motivated to learn about it.
@my cottage
Dictionary of American Pottery Marks by Gerald DeBolt
American Art Pottery : A Collection of Pottery, Tiles, and Memorabilia
Warman’s American Pottery and Porcelain by Susan D. Bagdade; Al Bagdade
The Kovels’ Collector’s Guide to American Art PotteryAny other books you think I might need?
Nope, you’re right! It’s his. Found others of his after you mentioned his name. 🙂
10/30/2019 at 2:48 pm in reply to: Scavenger Life Episode 434: Do You Have A Business Destiny? #69794My return rate is 5%. I’ve had a concerning amount of false INADS lately to avoid return postage. It’s troubling. Last week was much better than the week prior when the glitch was in full force. I sold around $800 during “glitch week” and I’ve bounced up to $1800ish this past week. Thank God because I was really starting to worry. This business is so up and down without eBay monkeying around with the site.
@OldDad I should have prefaced that statement with this…
In 2011 I was hiking with my oldest son. At the time he was in the junior naval cadets program and had just finished first aid training. (fortuitous) While we were hiking a college age girl lost control of her vehicle while looking for something on the floor of her car. She veered 30 feet off the road onto the path we were walking on. She hit me and luckily missed my son. I was not supposed to survive that accident. I was in intensive care for quite some time and then graduated to a nursing home where I lived while I was taught to walk again in a swimming pool. It took a real long time for me to rehabilitate. SO all that to say, my stamina is not the same as other people my age, but it doesn’t really hit me until the evening after a day with a lot of physical activity. Miraculously I do not have any issues with pain even though my pelvis was shattered and my back broken in 3 places. My doctor at Tufts New England calls me his medical miracle. 🙂
@Jay Thanks! It’s a lot of work, but like most of us, I’m not afraid of hard work. Michael, my son in college, is going in as an officer but did not go via ROTC. So his college is not paid by the military although I think there is some kind of partial tuition payback benefit. We need to look more into that. My oldest son is enlisted in the USAF. He was in college but left in his junior year because college wasn’t “his calling”. I have two daughters in high school. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.Both of my girls were adopted and have special needs, so college isn’t an option for them.
@Temudgin My husband retired a few years ago and is now a defense contractor. Thank you both for your service! we have zero need for winter as well which is why we will summer in Maine and winter in N.C.@Christine I’m very happy that the college chapter is about to end. The FAFSA was damn near the end of me each and every year. I wish you much patience and a winning lottery ticket. 😉
@Bill Thank you for your service! You are living my future plan. My husband truly retires (second retirement) in about 6 years or so. At that point I will takeover as the primary earner and we will bank his retirement and let the investments ride. My husband is 11 years older than me and I feel like my stamina at 49 is no different than my 20’s. So I feel like I have a lot of earning years left in me.
Salette,
I’m trying to source more jewelry but it’s slim pickin’s! We visit Topsail Island 3-4 times per year. Our son is stationed at Seymour Johnson, so it’s a great place for us to meet up. We plan to buy a property there in the next 2-3 years. I’ve had good success sourcing clothing in N.C. Lots of thrift stores down there. We checked out Carolina Beach a couple of weeks ago, but they are decidedly dog unfriendly. We take our pups everywhere so that won’t work. We prefer the vibe at Topsail Beach.
-
AuthorPosts