Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
11/16/2016 at 12:27 pm in reply to: Scavenger Life Episode 284: Where did you learn about money? #5955
Cool! Are you into a specific era, or do you have a mix? I like a good mix. Currently I have an early 80’s Bally Mr & Mrs. Pacman, a late 80’s Williams F-14 Tomcat, an early 90’s Williams Slugfest, and a mid-2000’s Stern Roller Coaster Tycoon. In my wheeling dealing days I went through a lot of pins. The only era I haven’t messed with is EM’s.
I service an Elvis pin at a pizza place right down the road from my house. I have a key and can play whenever I want. It’s the greatest way to “own” a pin – If I notice something is wrong while I’m playing, I pull the glass and fix it and get paid VERY well to do it. Lol!I’ve sold more than a few multicades as well. They are a great gameroom addition.
I have a real nice hard wood booth that came out of a historical Restaurant in Huntington that used to be a train station. It was our favorite restaurant before it shut down.
My system is still a work in progress, but I drew a line in the sand and all new listings stick to it. My current SKU is a letter and two numbers.
A- clothes
B- Shoes
C- Electronics
D- Toys
E- Misc.
W – I have two Wardrobes for coats and bulky clothing items.I have plenty more letters to expand. I can also add to the SKU eventually to put in my COGS and purchase date if I want. You gotta start somewhere!
My only wish is that the SKU would be added to the app. I can’t find it anywhere! I should be able to go to my awaiting shipment items and see the SKU plain as day. I should also be able to add the SKU to the listing in the app.
My next step in my system is to pick a listed tub a day and add the SKUs to the listings. Without SKU functionality in the app though, that becomes a pain.
It’s been slow here as well – I’ve only been selling 5-7 items a week for a few weeks. I started a 3 day sale on Saturday. On Sunday I had 3 sales and I had 5 on Monday. I’m hoping it is the start of a trend due to the fact I have been listing more. I could definitely go for selling 5 items a day!
11/15/2016 at 8:35 am in reply to: Scavenger Life Episode 284: Where did you learn about money? #5854I talk frequently about money with my kids. They’ve been using realistic looking play money as currency inside the house for years. They have a store they can buy items from with the money they earn doing chores getting their school work done on time.
I don’t tell the kids how much money I make at my job – kids have BIG mouths. Personally I don’t care what other people make, but other people can get real hung up on these things and it can cause problems. I do share with my kids data about ebay because I am showing them something that they can do to make real money.
Through all my conversations with my kids about money I can tell you most of it goes in one ear and out the other and they are on to the next distraction. Some kids are predisposed to being money smart, and some are doomed to learn money lessons the hard way. I can tell which of my kids fall into each category already. Hopefully the seeds have been planted though.
11/14/2016 at 4:52 pm in reply to: Scavenger Life Episode 284: Where did you learn about money? #5806I buy expensive dumb stuff…but I don’t pay expensive dumb prices. I got smart!
For instance I have a garage full of arcade and pinball machines. They are expensive…if you aren’t smart about it. I learned to fix them so I could buy them for super cheap. Then I started fixing them to sell. Then I started taking repair jobs from other people. I also started buying lots of parts and reselling them with proper descriptions.
I have every machine I ever wanted to have and I have zero money tied up in them. It also feels good to have those assets knowing I could sell them all in a pinch for quite a bit of money.
A couple years ago I sold several arcade games on ebay. I listed as local pickup and in the listing I gave the contact information for a NAVL rep that specialized in arcade machine shipping. I specified that the buyer would be responsible for all shipping costs and arrangements. All I had to do was be present when the shipper came to my house.
To protect myself, I took a video of the item working and did a walkaround showing condition. The video ended with the shipper unplugging the item and starting to put shrink wrap on it. Once the shipper took it I was no longer responsible for the item. I never had a claim so I don’t know if that video would have helped me, but it made me feel better.
11/14/2016 at 4:10 pm in reply to: Scavenger Life Episode 284: Where did you learn about money? #5795If you are exclusively an FBA seller, that email is meaningless. FBA is exempt from that policy because Amazon is doing the fulfillment.
11/14/2016 at 10:42 am in reply to: Scavenger Life Episode 284: Where did you learn about money? #5753Total Items in Store: 570
Items Sold: 7
Cost of Items Sold: $ 41
Total Sales: $232
Total Profit: $191
Highest Price Sold: $45 Dickies Boots (Retail Arbitrage from walmart clearance)
Average Price Sold: $33.14
Average Profit: $21.22Another slow week, but things appear to be picking up. I started a 10% off sale and have had a few sales from it. 6 of 7 sales were shoes. Yay for shoes!
Nothing much to say about amazon. One sale and made about $20 after COGS and fees. Still no motivation to send anything else in. The prices of all my arbitrage stuff is not going up to where I want them, and I think my amazon motivation is directly tied to those items. If that all sells before Christmas I’ll continue with amazon. If not I may just let it die and stick with ebay.
11/14/2016 at 9:58 am in reply to: Scavenger Life Episode 284: Where did you learn about money? #5747What an interesting topic! I can break my money learnings down into a few basics and then one detailed “ah-ha” moment.
1. My mom and wife are natural savers. I didn’t learn a thing from my mom because I was a kid, but I appreciate my wife’s abilities. My wife pinched every penny she ever got as a kid. If grandma gave her a dollar, she saved it. We were able to buy a house as 23 year old newlyweds due to her ability to save.2. My dad and sister are natural spenders. In debt waaayyy past their eyeballs. My mom had to bail both of them out multiple times. I did learn from their mistakes. I never even wanted a credit card! To this day I only have two cards, each with low limits and I pay them off regularly to get the free rewards. It irritates me quite a bit that I am punished on my credit rating for only having the credit limits I can afford.
3. My mother-in-law introduced me to the wonderful world of coupons. My mom couponed, but she just bought whatever had a coupon whether we wanted it or if it was even good. She wasted a lot of money getting stuff no one wanted. While dating my future wife, my mother-in-law started giving me coupons from this magical book called and “Entertainment book”. It isn’t as good now, but back then it had BOGO meals at all the best restaurants, bogo activities at all the best entertainment centers, and even cheap evening movies. I was able to take my future wife on very nice dates and spend next to nothing. Gents (and ladies), if you find a significant other who loves coupons and understands the value of a dollar while dating, then that is a keeper!
3. And now for the ah-ha moment! As a freshly giddy and engaged couple, my wife and I went to a bridal expo. We entered our name into a drawing for something, though it was really just putting us on a mailing list. We were soon contacted by someone who said we “won” a free cruise. We just had to come downtown to a hotel to claim it. We participated in a presentation on a line of cookware called Royal Prestige. It was a great presentation. We fell for it hook line n’ sinker. We were the proud new owners of $2300 in dishes and cookware… at 18% interest compounded monthly. I paid the payment a few months, then me and my fiancé had a heart to heart on what we had done. We also researched what the stuff sold for on ebay…ouch. We dipped into her savings and paid it off in full. It was a very painful lesson, but we learned a lot from it. I learned to love eating veggies because the presenter cooked a meal for us and the steamed broccoli & carrots were great. We learned all about interest rates and what the real cost of investment is. Most valuably, we learned to check ebay! As a bonus, we still have that cookware and it is indeed just as good as presented – it was just way overpriced. It will last our lifetime easily.
Oh, and we did use that cruise! I was able to upgrade the free “basic” cruise to the cruise we were already planning to take on our honeymoon. It saved me a few hundred dollars.
-
This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by
Retro Treasures WV.
-
This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by
Retro Treasures WV.
If you stick with a single shipping company,use a desktop, and a single software to print labels you can gain productivity with a thermal label. That is why every shipping department in the world sets up a contract with UPS or FedEx and ships exclusively with them. That is why UPS will give shipping companies a free label printer and labels.
The issues arise when you want to ship USPS, FedEx, & UPS. You use Ebay, paypal, Bonanza, Etsy, etc to create labels that aren’t always compatible or formatted the same. You use a PC or a mac, or you want to print wirelessly or from a mobile device. All of these issues require sacrifices in ease of use because there is no one stop shop to make all these things play nicely together.
That’s why I will chime in on any one of these threads to say I happily chose a wireless airprint laser printer and use adhesive label pouches. Print the label from any device on plain white paper from anywhere in the house. Fold label in half, place in pouch, and stick to package. Done. Easy, clean, professional looking, fast, and durable.
11/11/2016 at 8:31 am in reply to: Just declined a return of an item received 43 days ago but I feel bad. #5601I had a return request last week for a pair of $70 shoes. I also have returns turned off. Normally I take all return requessts no problem, but the person went out of their way to lie. They said “ordered by mistake. It just arrived”. My BS meter went off so I checked their buying history. Sure enough they found and purchased a cheaper pair 20 minutes after buying mine. They could have written me then and cancelled. They could have also just been honest and said “found a cheaper pair”. I would have been cool with that.
In the end I just ignored the request. No further contact from buyer. Am I a jerk? Eh, probably. I don’t feel bad at all though. I am a robot…BEEP!
11/11/2016 at 8:24 am in reply to: Should we build a stick & frame building, or a metal building #5600Check around with some Amish builders in your area. They can bring a team of Amish builders in and bang out your wood building in a day, and you may be pleasantlyt surprised with the cost if you get to the right people. You can insulate and wire it yourself after the fact.
Also, you can still run pipes in along the perimeter if need-be. It’s just more labor intensive and the concrete has to be repaired afterwards.
After reading this I ran over to Target to see if I could get one. I got there just in time to see all the disappointed empty handers leaving. They had 13 and handed out tickets for them around 7am.
This is a great opportunity for someone who has some spare time. If you can score one of these and a Hatchimal then you are doing well!
I think there is a perception issue on ebay that I compare to the issue of power vs. volume in cars, motorcycles, vacuums, etc. In that analogy, consumers assume a quiet vacuum, sports car, or motorcycle constitutes a lack of power. In reality, it is superior engineering to maintain power and reduce volume.
So back to your issue. Your photos in reality are amazing and professional, but your buyers are triggered to think the item is fake. I think the average ebay buyer expects to see some clue that the item is owned and loving used by the actual seller. They want good quality pictures, but in a “real” environment. By placing your used items in a sterile environment, it hits that uncanny valley that makes them appear to be fake listings. This is the main issue I have never been able to pull the trigger on a photo box.
If I were you , I would turn off the underneath lighting to go for a more natural, muted background. Yeah it will look a little less professional but that’s the point.
-
This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by
Retro Treasures WV.
11/10/2016 at 11:28 am in reply to: Save the planet. Save money. Save your items. Save space. Steel File Cabinets! #5490Can you provide some context as to what kind of inventory you have? Can you post a picture or two? I’d really like to see what you have to better understand your process.
I really don’t think filing cabinets will work with my kind of inventories.
-
This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by
-
AuthorPosts