07/10/2020 at 3:40 pm #79315
I was just how others in the SL community approach selling items that have some value that you have little/no money into. Do you go for the quick sale or do you wait?
I was recently offered $500 for a book I have listed for $700 and $170 for some racing memorabilia. I got the book from the trash and the racing stuff for pennies.
What do you all do? Quick cash or wait and hope for more? Thanks, as always for your input.
Have a great day! Liz
07/10/2020 at 3:54 pm #79316Retro Treasures WVParticipant
Depends on the market and experience. If I know without a doubt I could get $100-200 more if I wait a few months I’ll wait. Sometimes though, you take what you can get. There’s always more stuff to sell.
07/10/2020 at 4:09 pm #79317JayKeymaster
- Location: Virginia
Yeah, we would definitely sell for $500 of we had it listed for $700. Couldnt accept that deal quick enough.
A “fast nickel” in my mind is selling an item for $10 within a week, instead of waiting for $100 offer. If you’re always churning, then you’re working very very hard.
07/10/2020 at 4:55 pm #79318
Thanks for the responses!
07/10/2020 at 5:32 pm #79319Steven SParticipant
- Location: South Dakota
$500 for trash?
Pocket that cash.
07/10/2020 at 5:41 pm #79321LukastreasuretroveParticipant
- Location: Chevy Chase, MD
For me, it depends on how long I’ve had it up and whether I was able to find solid comps. If I just put something up and get a quick offer, I usually will wait, especially if it is something I’ve found multiple higher sales for in the past. If I just pulled a price out of the blue and couldn’t find comps, I think I would take it.
07/10/2020 at 6:16 pm #79324
Thanks for the comments. The book is actually worth at least $900. Many are asking over $1,000. The $500 offer was from a dealer.
Thanks again! Liz
07/10/2020 at 6:20 pm #79325JayKeymaster
- Location: Virginia
Ah, now the equation changes for me. If you know its worth $1k, I’d hold out for more than $500. But as Steve said, $500 from trash quickly is not a problem.
07/16/2020 at 10:51 am #79648Old DadParticipant
- Location: Missouri
I would likely make a counteroffer of $850 in the situation you describe, maybe with a note saying I don’t want to go that low but I will for you. If they come back at $750 I would take that and feel good about the extra $250.
Are the comps actual sold prices, or asking price?
07/10/2020 at 9:49 pm #79335debitendcreditsParticipant
- Location: Albuquerque, NM
Rare books typically stay rare, but other items value can fluctuate very quickly. I sell a lot of out of print DVDs. The rare ones can sell for as much as $300.00 but all it it takes is one reissue and they instantly become worthless.
Typically, I am willing to go 10%-20% less than the going average if I can get a quick flip.
07/11/2020 at 3:29 am #79340Antique FrogParticipant
- Location: Leicester
It appears that the larger booksellers on Amazon UK are now using software to “scrape” eBay listings for price comparison. I listed a book on eBay for £50 that was listed by seven sellers on Amazon at around £350. All seven dropped their prices to around the £47 mark. I relisted the book last Thursday at £4.99. Three of the Amazon listings have now gone, leaving four small sellers. Amazon listing here.
I suppose the three missing books are on ther way to the toilet-roll factory now.
07/16/2020 at 5:12 am #79641GooseParticipant
- Location: Central Florida
For me it depends on the item. If I have a one of a kind item-I wait. If I have an item that plenty of other sellers offer on Ebay-I’ll take the fast nickel. In general though for me 3 fast nickels > 1 slow dime. As long as I’m getting a reasonable and decent return on my investment I’ll take it.
07/16/2020 at 11:37 am #79658
Thanks for all of the thoughts! I may end up selling to the dealer. He told me his offer stands for whenever I decide. Have a wonderful day everyone. liz
07/26/2020 at 4:49 am #79957PellMellResellParticipant
If it were me, I would offer him $600. The way he said his offer would stand whenever your ready, to me implies he is very interested. Is this item on Best Offer? I would just tell him$600 is the lowest you want to go and see what he does. I’m not sure if this logic works with a collectible book or not. My way of handling high dollar offers like these is like this: Listed $700 they offer way too little say $500 or even less, I 1st counter with a high reasonable offer I would actually take like $650. Usually at this point you either A. They decline, or you just never hear from them again, but you now at least gain the knowledge that someone else will probably offer $500 again someday. Or B. They usually will counter with something like $550 If this is still too low for me which it often times may be depending on the item and example used, my tactic is to immediately decline this second too low offer they make. I feel this action tells the person, I’m in no hurry to sell this item too low and I’m not afraid of declining an unreasonable offer nor do I have the time. I have found time after time if the person really wants it they almost immediately come back with something much more in line like$ 625 in this example maybe. Lastly if they come back again with anything short of a good offer I just end it by adding a note on the offer that clearly says the is the Lowest I will take on this item $625 send. This almost ends it with either a sale for $625 or the knowledge that this items is roughly worth $550-$600. And one more side note on several occasions now, my items that have played out similar to this example will sometimes sells a week or so later at full price to someone else. I have Best Offer on every item and it honestly makes it more interesting for me and I think it empowers the customer into feeling they got a deal. Meanwhile I mark up my items prices and allow room for this bartering to happen, and frankly would have been just fine with the original $500 in this example, but what fun is that.
07/26/2020 at 8:02 am #79958
Excellent strategy PellMell! Thanks for the response! Still have the item. I’ve been getting many lowball offers with weird messages from people. ie… “for some reason shipping that book to Canada is coming to $130″…. would you consider $375 for the book? stuff like that! lol
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.