07/11/2019 at 6:27 pm #64806
Hey.. This popped up on us earlier today.
I got a message yesterday from a watcher, “would I take $75” for an item we have listed higher. So since it was just in a message format, I replied Sue thing and said that he would either need to accept the formal offer I was going to send him or he could just click on “make an offer” on the listing.
So today I get an official offer of $75 from an entirely different buyer who is using the actual listing “make an offer”.
I haven’t heard a word from the casual message inquirer and the make an offer I sent to him from with the Ebay message center does not register in the Make an offer section of the seller hub. BUT when I look at the actual listing it does show my offer to the original message buyer and my send an offer to him AND also the new formal offer from the 2nd potential buyer.
SO< the QUESTION is, since I have not heard from the first offer buyer can I just accept the real official offer from the second buyer? Will my acceptance of the 2nd offer cancel out the first offer I made and sent and that first offer just get overriden and canceled out with a not something like, this item is sold and now no longer available, or something to that affect?
I don’t want to wait on that 1st buyer who may have just been kicking tires or a reseller himself just wanting to know how low I would go to help him price his item.
Any thoughts on accepting the 2nd formal offer and BTW the only one that does show up on my Seller Hub.
mike at MDC Galleries and Fine Art0
07/11/2019 at 8:04 pm #64810LizParticipant
It should just tell the first buyer/offer-maker that the item is out of stock.
I made an offer on an item; the seller counter-offered. While I was considering their counter offer, someone else came along and bought the item. Ebay sent me a message saying “Got away! Sorry you missed out, here’s a similar item”.1+
07/12/2019 at 7:48 am #64817JayKeymaster
- Location: Virginia
Liz is right. You can send out multiple offers, but whoever accepts first gets the item.0
07/12/2019 at 8:22 am #64820
Thanks guys. Jay that is not quite the scenario but I will go ahead and accept the formal offer that came in.
I didn’t send out multiple offers waiting on the first reply. A potential buyer messaged me and just asked if I would consider taking $75. i replied Yes and then sent him an offer. Thenwhile waiting on the first guy to respond an offer comes in from a brand new person, whom I didn’t send an offer to.
But Liz and your comment takes care of the issue for me. That is no matter how many offers are out there, regardless if I sent them or if they sent them to me, or what order they were sent or received, I can take any offer I want regardless if I sent the offer or they sent the offer and not wait on the first guy I sent my offer to.
In other words, if the guy I sent the offer to myself, if he takes too long, I take the next offer that is sent to me.
I just thought if I made the offer and that offer was good for either 24 or 48 hours, the item was now “tied up” for that time frame to allow the person I sent the offer to time to get around to accepting or declining it and only after the 24 hrs. or 48 hours have past, then is the only time I could accept an offer that comes in from a buyer.
Since I sent the first offer, it seems like if I then change my mind after 7 hours goes by, I can just “abandon” that offer “I Sent”.
So if the time frame doesn’t mean anything, then a seller is good to take any offer regardless of how many he send out and how many he gets and that is good. Just wanted to to clarify.
mike at MDCGFA0
07/12/2019 at 8:07 am #64819Retro Treasures WVParticipant
The last time I bought something with make offer, ebay actually recommended an offer price.
The line was something like this:
“This seller is more likely to accept an of $x.xx ”
I wish I would have screen shot it, as I had never seen ebay make such a specific recommendation like that before.0
07/12/2019 at 8:35 am #64821
That’s cool RTWV: I have never seen that before. That would help many of the new buyers from thinking that 50% thru 75% is a great first offer and don’t understand that too low is too low. I know as a seller we can set an auto decline, but if Ebay has a way to track what our average “acceptance” level is and feeds that to the buyer that is going to make an offer, that would help that buyer maybe getting an “acceptance” quickly.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.