This week we took some time to remember why we started selling on eBay back in 2008. Quick answer: to live a low stress life. Longer answer has do with enjoying challenges and getting lost in our work, but only when we get to choose what work it is we do.
We also discuss how eBay is the cash engine that helps us renovate rental houses. We’re just about done paying off a $12k metal roof and brick chimney for our River House. This time around, it’s also helpful that we have the extra income from the Farmhouse that we renovated with eBay money. So it’s not just about endless selling on junk online. For us, it’s about investing our money in things we’re proud of and generate more income to give us the low stress life we crave.
We just interviewed Molly in Silverlake, Los Angeles who renovated a bungalow behind her home to rent out on Airbnb. She does a good job expressing her goal of quitting her grinding job and running her own business.
Here are the links we discussed in this episode:
- We just started selling on Amazon FBA in the last month. But suddenly Amazon has set up limits of what items can be sent in. Here is their explanation. An Amazon seller gave her view of why they’re doing this. Are they really out of room on their warehouses?!
- Here’s a good article on why old things don’t die. LP’s, cassettes, Polaroids, 8-tracks, etc. To young people, these things are new and get a new life.
- Denise sent us this story about eBay starting a shipping service in LA, SF, Chicago and NYC. They’ll come pick up the item that sold and ship it for you for $5 + shipping.
- Margaret told us about how USPS is LOWERING their first class stamps for only the second time in its history. From 49-cents to 47-cents.
Our week of sales stated very slow but ended with a big bang. Hope you had a good week.
Our Store Week March 13-19, 2016
- Store #1
- Total Items in Store: 3744
- Items Sold: 35
- Cost of Items Sold: $320
- Total Sales: $1,332.20
- Highest Price Sold: $195 (Small wood cabinet)
- Average Price Sold: $38.06
- Returns: 0
- Money Spent on New Inventory This Week: $170
- Number of items listed this week: 0
- Store #2
- Total Items in Store: 900
- Items Sold: 9
- Cost of Items Sold: $27
- Total Sales: $329.93
- Highest Price Sold: $100 (vintage bread box)
- Average Price Sold: $36.65
- Returns: 0
- Number of items listed this week: 40