When new people ask questions about selling on eBay, we do our best to answer. But really, I’m listening to see if I hear the Hunger in their voice. Do they have that thing that drives them to go out and look for treasure among the trash? Making money on eBay is very cool, but selling online is really almost beside the point for a Scavenger. The Hunger should make them want to spend an early Saturday morning wandering around someone’s front yard looking through boxes. Or walking around a field of flea market stalls on a hot day. Or going through five hundred t-shirts at the local thrift shop. Or spending eight hours in an auction while the auctioneer sells off a lifetime of a man’s possessions. This is fun for fun’s sake.
We have the hunger. If this blog didn’t exist, we’d still be spending our days searching for treasure. Even if eBay didn’t exist, we’d find reasons to dig into boxes at auctions because it’s how we like to spend our time. We still get just as excited walking into our local thrift store now as we did when we first started selling in 2008. eBay just helps us scavenge full time. The Hunger comes from a place beyond just making money.
And when I hear the Hunger in a new seller’s voice, there can be no obstacle that can get in their way.
This week, we talk about the following links:
- Google, Twitter, and other sites are perfecting the “Buy Button” to help people buy on mobile devices. How will this affect us?
- Last week I was wondering why people’s pay $300 for old sneakers. This exhibition in Brooklyn displays the history of sneakers and why their so amazing.
- Thrifting has become so popular that even the super rich in the Hamptons fight over stuff at a guy’s yard sale.
- eBay’s Global Shipping Program is now sending messages as packages are being delivered. This is good news.
The Weekly Scavenger Numbers
Our Store Week July 5-11, 2015
- Store #1
- Total Items in Store: 3963
- Items Sold: 32
- Cost of Items Sold: $250
- Total Sales: $2,041.81
- Highest Price Sold: $599 (antique hall tree)
- Average Price Sold: $63.78
- International Sales: 5 (5 GSP)
- Returns: 0
- Money Spent on New Inventory This Week: $90
- Number of items listed this week: 24
- Store #2
- Total Items in Store: 377
- Items Sold: 8
- Cost of Items Sold: $18
- Total Sales: $249.92
- Highest Price Sold: $39 (vintage stapler)
- Average Price Sold: $31.12
- International Sales: 1 (1 GSP)
- Returns: 0
- Number of items listed this week: 0