It's been a fun time going to estate and yard sales in Austin where we strangely bought almost all shoes. Amazing incredible expensive shoes for under $4 each. Shoes are how we got started on eBay and are always good sellers.
Since it's the middle of the week in Austin, there are no yard sales or estate sales to visit. So we hit the "Free listings" on Craigslist. Found a woman who is cleaning out her apartment and giving away stuff. We were attracted to her vintage Girl Scout patches, but then saw that she mentioned she had a pair of new unworn Danskos. When we arrived to her apartment, she had more than what was listed She said she was purging. Old coloring books, rag dolls. Very cool stuff. If we lived in a city, I'd live on Craigslist since there's so much stuff to find.
We're sold on FedEx Home. The cost is half of what we'd pay with USPS for large heavy boxes. Just remember that if you try to ship through FedEx, open an account online and print the labels yourself. The cost is significantly cheaper.
It might seem crazy to ship inventory back home, but the sale of two pair of shoes will pay for all the shipping we've done so far. Plus it's just fun scavenging in all the cool Austin neighborhoods. The city is really gorgeous.That being said, looks like we're not going to have time for meet-up in Austin as we had suggested. It's a combination of us visiting friends, not knowing where to meet, and being kind of shy. In the future, maybe someone else local can arrange the actual meetup and we'll just show up.
As always, this is a great thread for any new Scavenger to get their questions answered.
Some simple rules-
- We do allow anonymous commenters, but we encourage you to use your ID so people can get to know you. Plus you won't have to re-enter the code for each comment.
- Be civil. People have different ways of doing the same thing. If we disagree, no big deal.
- We are solution oriented. If you want to simply hate on eBay, go to the dark depths of the eBay forums where your hate can be polished like a precious jewel.
- Please back up any issues with facts and specific links. We don't deal in rumors.
- Comments are threaded (what?). So you can either reply to a specific comment or start an overall new topic.